Pages

Tuesday 29 May 2012

               MY TAONGA

MY TAONGA: WHALE TOOTH


Hi my name is Ili and today I’D like to speak to you about my taonga a whale tooth. This whale tooth in Fijian is called the tabua. This whale tooth has been passed down from generation to generations. For example: if my dad died then my mums family will take my mum and my family back to live with them. Usually men get the whale tooth. The whale tooth has been passed down from my great,great,great,great,great grandfather to my great,great,great,great grandfather, then he had to pass it down to my great,great,great grandpa but he couldn’t because my great,great,great grandpa passed away early. So my grandmother passed this special whale tooth to my great granddad. So now if my dad died then my dad will pass this whale tooth to my big brother, and if my big brother doesn't have any sons then he will give it to my little brother.
MY TAONGA: MAT

My next item is the mat the mat in Fijian is called the umba. This mat has been passed through 4 generations. My grandmother whom my sister is named after, past away and gave it to my great,great,great grandmother and my great,great grandmother husband gave it to my mum's mum when she was married. So since my mum has grown up, she will give the mat to my older sister and if my older sister doesn't have any daughter then she will give it to me.
Usually my mum and dad have 2 whale tooth for my 2 brothers and 2 mats for me and my sister. As I have already said the mens get the whale tooth and the woman's get the mat. Mats are special on: Birthdays,wedding,marriage, and many other special occasions. Whale teeth are presented on Birthdays,wedding, and many other special occasions.
My dads whale tooth is special to him because it was given to him by his great granddad who would care for him like his own child.
My mum's mat is special to her because it was given to her when her mum died. She received the mat on her birthday. Now my mum has a step-mum.


These taogans will always be special to me because of my ancestors and my parents.

By: ILI LOLAKA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.